[MPlayer-users] mplayer sound over ssh ?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Thu Jul 1 15:41:31 CEST 2004

Jan Knutar wrote:

>>Actually, one can setup ssh to forward *any* specific TCP port. What is
>>special in X11 forwarding is the forwarding of *dynamic* port numbers.
>

> What is special in X11 forwarding is ssh automatically adjusting your xauth.
> There's nothing "dynamic" about it. If you want "dynamic" port forwarding
> of sorts, see the -D option in OpenSSH.

I did not express myself precisely, but "nothing dynamic" is too strong.
Ssh forwards X11 *using* dynamically chosen port numbers. Make 2 'ssh
-X' to the same machine, you end up with 2 sessions with different
values of DISPLAY, like one to localhost:10.0 (port 6010) the other to
port 6011.

I did not know about -D, sounds interesting. Unfortunately the man page
is somewhat obscure, stating "Currently the SOCKS4 protocol is
supported", what does this exactly mean?

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles