[MPlayer-users] Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device

Michael Sullivan michael at espersunited.com
Fri Jul 2 00:24:47 CEST 2004

I recently downloaded and installed the rpms for mplayer onto my Fedora
Core 1 system.  At first I was getting the error, "Error
opening/initializeing the selected video_out (-vo) device, but I found
online that I could change the vo setting in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
file, line 11 to x11.  It worked for a couple of days, but then it
started giving me some error about using up too much of the CPU.  I went
back into the /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file this evening to try working
around it.  I found it set back to vo again.  I changed it to x11 (which
worked before), but I keep getting this same Error opening/initializing
video_out (-vo) device error.  It seems like it isn't realizing that
I've changed the setting.  Is there something else I have to do?  Do I
have to restart some mplayer server or something to fix this?  Please
help!