[MPlayer-users] sub to srt

Jean-Olivier Irisson jo.irisson at noos.fr
Fri Jul 2 15:40:48 CEST 2004

zelos wrote:

> I forgot: this one as 2 audio channels...
> The result is as follow:
>
> mplayer -sub my_movie-cd_1.sub -slang en -aid 2 my_movie-cd_1.avi -dumpsrtsub
> MPlayer 1.0pre4-3.3.2 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
 >
> Playing my_movie-cd_1.avi.
> Selected VOBSUB language: 0 language: enen
> AVI file format detected.
> VIDEO:  [DIVX]  624x336  24bpp  25,000 fps  956,1 kbps (116,7 kbyte/s)
> Clip info:
>  Software: transcode-0.6.12
> SUB: Could not determine file format
> Cannot load subtitles: my_movie-cd_1.sub
>
> I don't understand! I can pplay the movie with subtitles correctly with:
> mplayer -sub my_movie-cd_1.sub -slang en my_movie-cd_1.avi

It appears from:
 > SUB: Could not determine file format
 > Cannot load subtitles: my_movie-cd_1.sub
that you sub file is not a text based sub subtitle but a VobSub file.
In that case it can indeed contain 2 languages (furthermore, it's not
two audio channels it's just 2 subtitles languages). The subtitle should
be loaded with -vobsub option. In your case it is automatically loaded
because the sub file has the same name that the avi file. so the -sub
option is wrong and useless.

Dealing with the conversion, it is not in fact a simple conversion. Your
sub file is a collection of images containing the subtitles and should
come with and .idx file that contains the times at which the subs should
be displayed. In order to convert them to an .srt text file you have to
perform an OCR on the sub file. This can be done with gocr and an
utility present in the TOOLS section of mplayer code called subrip. You
have to compile subrip.c yourself (see the command at the beginning of
the file).
In addition it appears that this utility is buggy at this time (at least
I have problems with it as as explained in a previous post).

good luck.
--
JiHO
---