[MPlayer-users] mplayer and links2

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Mon Jul 5 10:43:47 CEST 2004

>Has anybody successfully added mplayer to the associations in setup for
>links2. I have tried to do this using video/x-ms-asf. when I get to a file
>of this type, I'm given the choice to open with window media save or
>display even though I unchecked the box about having it ask me whether to
>open mplayer or not. when I choose the link to open with windows media,
>(the label I used not the player) it appears to go to mplayer but only
>goes through the opening info about conf files etc and lists usage an
>exits.
>1. is there something else I need to do (an option I need to put in to the
>associations) to get this to work?
>2. what other filetypes should I list under "content-type" besides
>video/x-ms-asf?
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Cheryl
>
>"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

  Hi,

  Did you add the playlist switch? Something like "mplayer -playlist % &> /dev/null" should work. I used the redirect to null so I don't have to see messages from MPlayer when it starts. That's one way to do it for Linux.

  I *think* you're talking about the graphics version of Links, right? If so, that's what works for me. Actually, I pass it to a script, but that's because I set it up before MPlayer had the "-playlist" option, and better parsing of URLs that get thrown at it.

  If all else fails, you can put a simple script somewhere in your path, be sure to make it executable (chmod 755), and it should do it. Something like the following:

killall mplayer &> /dev/null;
mplayer -playlist "$1" &> /dev/null

Then just change the line in links.cfg to call whatever you named the script instead of MPlayer; "mstream %" or whatever. I doubt if you'll have to even bother with the script, but I never got around to trying it with calling MPlayer directly.

Hope that makes sense, I just woke up! :)

Steve