[MPlayer-users] is concurrent 2-pass on SMP machines OK

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 6 00:56:11 CEST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Rob Prowel wrote:

> How is the 2-pass statistics file used on pass 2?  Can
> I start pass one of a 2-pass render, wait about 2
> minutes and then start the second pass (before the
> first pass completes), but output to a different file?
>  The second pass is always slower than the first pass,
> so it would SEEM that the only question is how the
> statistics file is used.  Can anyone verify the
> validity of my proposal?

No, you can't do that. You need to have the whole stats file before
starting the seconds pass.
BTW, in my experience the second pass is always 5-10% faster than
the first.

> Also, is there any built-in support for SMP or
> multi-threaded execution in mencoder or the underlying
> ffmpeg codecs?

lavc does support multi-threaded execution, but there is currently
no interface for it in mencoder. I just submitted a patch.

--Loren Merritt