[MPlayer-users] mencoder sound with TV-tuner

Roger Andreassen randreas69 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:08:06 CEST 2004

Hi,

I used to record TV at home with mencoder via crontab.

During summer I've brought my tuner card for VCR use in a HP Pavillion 700
with Audigy, if this works maybe the tuner stays.

However,  I've just installed Slackware 10 and I've never used an Audigy
card before (just Live!), and all the "record" buttons are gone... is this a
known feature of Alsa 1.0.5 or is it Audigy-related?

In the process of writing this mail I did manage to get sound working by
setting all sliders to 80% and the script below. It's a thing now. It's
alive! As I used Alsa 0.9.x at home perhaps something has changed? Should I
hit the right values with adevice=hw. .. . ..?

Here is my script:

#!/bin/sh

# Usage: Station Time Filename

#Audio settings for recording
/usr/bin/aumix  -l R
/usr/bin/aumix  -l 80
/usr/local/bin/v4lctl setstation $1
/usr/local/bin/v4lctl volume 65500

/usr/local/bin/mencoder tv:// \
-tv driver=v4l:input=0:alsa:amode=1:width=384:height=288 \
-vop pp=lb,pp=de/tn:1:2:3 \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 \
-oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=96:mode=1  \
-endpos $2 \
-o ~/$3_`/bin/date +%m%d.avi`

/usr/local/bin/v4lctl volume 55000
/usr/local/bin/v4lctl volume mute on
/usr/bin/aumix  -m R

I don't think adevice=/dev/dsp is correct for Alsa so it's left out so I
don't stall mencoder.

Questions: are the "aumix -l R" lines ready to go and do I need to target
"adevice=hw. .. . .." for stability? I didn't inherit the hacker genes from
around here so it needs to work, like, each time.

Regards,

Roger Andreassen.