[MPlayer-users] display text to dev/fb

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Jul 7 04:56:56 CEST 2004

Sent this about 12 hours ago, didn't see it on the list - does the CC to lirc
list make it look like spam?   anyway, here it is:

Here is my goal: display a 'menu' of how my remote is configured.

I can get the "button|config" lines for irexec like this:

perl -ne 'if (m/^end irexec/){ $show = 0;} if ($show) { print $_;} if (m/^begin
irexec/){ $show=1; }' ~/.lircrc |grep -E "^[^#]*(button|config)">test.txt

I can convert that to an image like this:

convert  -pointsize 20 test.txt test.gif

Now to get test.gif dumped to my screen.  (generally not running X.  If X is
running, I am fine with just stuffing it on the screen and let X redraw things
over the top of it.

I can use mPlayer, but it doesn't leave it on the screen:

mplayer -vo fbdev test.gif

This flashes between the image and the text.
mplayer -loop 0 -vo fbdev test.gif

I have seen mplayer leave the last image of a dvd on the screen.  and mplayer
can use fonts to display text.  so how about just displaying my text?

I am sure there are better tools for the job, so if anyone has a better idea...

Carl K

http://www.personnelware.com/carl/resume.html