[MPlayer-users] Interlaced TV-OUT

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 9 20:43:10 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:26:59AM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 02:53 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > Make sure you're running at the native resolution (480 lines for NTSC
> > or 576 for PAL) so that no vertical scaling of the movie takes place.
>
> What about overscan?  At least with my NVidia card, I can adjust
> overscan, and I assume that the end result is the same: vertical scaling
> (at least as far as my TV is concerned).  I've tried various levels and
> it all seems to look the same.  (That is, awful.)

Bleh, allowing your to adjust overscan is plain broken. Unless it does
it using nonstandard timings (which I strongly doubt!) it will result
in scaling. :( If you set the video mode to 640x480 there should be a
1:1 correspondence between video lines in memory and on the tv out.
Anything else is just stupid. But that's nvidia, always stupid...

> > Then it will mostly work, aside from some glitches due to timer drift.
> > (The player should sync to vblank rather than audio for interlaced
> > content!)
>
> How do you make MPlayer do this?  Doesn't it need specific support for
> the card for this?

You don't. That's why I said it _should_ do that. It doesn't, but it
should.

> NVidia's binary driver appears to have a feature where you can force
> sync to vblank for XvPutVideo and XvPutStill.  But Mplayer's xv driver
> XvPutImage so this doesn't help.

You misunderstand what I mean. I'm not talking about waiting til
vblank to flip pages. Any decent vo does that. I'm talking about using
the vblank as the timer source, so that every picture field gets
displayed for exactly one scan field.

> I'd love to get interlaced content looking decent on my video card.
> It's just about the last thing to do on my Linux video setup :)  But I
> think I'm missing a few pieces of the puzzle ...

Unfortunately the software is missing lots of pieces of the puzzle. :(

Rich