[MPlayer-users] Re: Stills and sound from DSC MPEGs

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Sat Jul 10 13:39:28 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> I have a related question: how can one make mpeg files that the Sony
> DSC cameras will accept and play? I've tried several methods with
> mencoder and ffmpeg but the camera always says "file error". All the
> audio and video parameters I can see are identical to those in files
> produced by the camera, so ffmpeg must be generating broken PS files
> or else the camera is expecting some proprietary extra info to
> identify the files as its own...

One thing I found out: the MPG from Sony consists of a series of
complete frames, while most other MPGs consist of incremental frames.

For example:

    mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video \
        -oac copy mov00000.mpg new.mpg

This will produce a new mpg of about 2.8Mb out of an 8.6Mb original.

-- Johan