[MPlayer-users] question about view a realvideo steam

Farrell Farahbod upgrdman at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 11 13:01:09 CEST 2004

I remember a short while ago (two or three months ago) I was unable to
play a stream off the Internet which played just fine in the RealOne
Player for Linux. I havn't come across any RealMedia stream recently,
but I just remembered that the whole reason for why I wanted to play
RealMedia files with mplayer was so I could save the stream with the
"-dumpstream -dumpfile foo.ext" flags.

I would like to know what weaknesses mplayer has when it comes to
viewing RealMedia streams (I think they are RTSP streams, which I used
to confuse with Live before...) and anything I could doubble check for
when I "./configure" mplayer....like lines to watch for that say "blah
blah....[success/ok]"

I know it would be better if I had an example of what stream doesn't
work, but I didn't bookmark the old stream, and like I said, I have not
come across any recently. I would just like to prepare so next time I
*can* view and save any RealMedia streams with mplayer if possible, and
if not, I would like to know why. (Like if it's due to something mplayer
doesn't support, like encryption, a certin codec, or a certin feature I
forgot to compile into mplayer, etc.)

Thanks,

--Farrell F.