[MPlayer-users] Greyscale "tricks"

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Thu Jul 15 06:14:41 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 07:00, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
>   My impression was, that there is no kind of colorspace which offers
>   only one channel for brightness and not only have set the rest two
>   channels set constantly set to zero but simply does not store these
>   bunch of zeroes to the file.

Even when using huffyuv, which is a pretty basic form of /lossless/
compression, the zeroes would get compressed to occupy practically zero
space :)

>   hrrrmmm...my intention was to _avoid_ noise and to raise the PSNR as
>   high as possible...;)
>   Or do I understand something wrong here.

The whole bit about denoising colour only when doing grayscale encoding
was a bit silly. The lavc option gray strips out all colour, so
anything you do to mangle colour is 'lost'.

>   Currently I am fighting agains blcok artefacts and against another
>   effect, from which I dont know, whether it is a bug (mine or one of
>   mencoder/mplayer) or whether it is a feature:

What -lavcopts are you using?

>   When adjusting -- for example -- the volume I get "bars" as an osd
>   display. When finished adjsuting, this bar remains blurred on the
>   screen and will be "taken" by the underlaying movie -- be more and
>   more blurred.

This sounds more like a bug... Same thing when playing with -double?