[MPlayer-users] bug?

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Jul 16 10:04:51 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 08:34, rcooley wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:20:29 +0300
> Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:
>

> > Many OSes don't ship with a video player, either.
>
> Yes, that's the reason you NEED gcc in the first place, isn't it?
>
> Upgrading your video player is not going to cause other programs to stop
> working...  Upgrading your version of gcc probably will.

There is no need to "upgrade" the compiler, you can keep your precious old
one for compiling whatever stuff that requires the old compiler. Useful for
compiling the latest Linux 2.2.X, I suppose :)

I have a machine running Redhat 6.1. I've installed gcc-3.3 into /opt/gcc-3/,
whenever I wish to compile something with gcc-3.3, instead of the standard
egcs, I just set my path to include /opt/gcc-3/bin first. Naturally, if I ever
rm -rf /opt/gcc-3/, all apps compiled against it will stop to function.