[MPlayer-users] ogg misdetected as TiVo

Jean-Olivier Irisson jo.irisson at noos.fr
Fri Jul 16 10:25:53 CEST 2004

>>I think it is an avi with ogg audio. Should this be named *.ogg too?
>
> There's no such thing as Ogg audio.  Ogg is a container like AVI.  Ogg
> files typically contain "Vorbis" audio.  In the log above it even says
> "Selected audio codec: [vorbis]"
>
> To answer your question, AVIs containing Vorbis audio should not be
> named .Ogg.  However, I have never seen one myself, and have heard
> people who know such things, saying that AVI is technically incapable of
> storing Vorbis audio.  That's why videos in Ogg containers got popular
> in the first place.
>
> However, MPlayer's output that you posted makes it very clear that you
> have an Ogg file:
>
>>Playing vampire.avi.
>>AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
>>Ogg file format detected.
>
> The above line says the file is in an Ogg container format.
>
> Now, .ogg is not the proper extention either, because of some conflicts.
>  These files are  almost always named ".ogm", and you can find examples
> of .ogm files on the web, on p2p, etc.

Thank you for this fine answer. In fact I thought ".avi" because of the
ffodivx codec used to decode the video (which is the one used with my
.avis). Maybe I should have said "divx". So if I understood well this
may be a divx video with vorbis audio in an ogm container. Hope it's
correct now ;-) ! I'll rename it right away.
Thank you again: I learnt something today and, hey, that's what this is
for in the first place, isn't it.
--
JiHO
---