[MPlayer-users] stupid dvd question.

Jack lt at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 19 23:32:18 CEST 2004

The Wanderer wrote:

> That sounds like about the right way to do it, syntax-wise - except that
> (by the way MPlayer currently does things) it would actually report the
> list of "longest" chapters and then *exit*, rather than sitting there at
> some kind of menu. The user would then be able to enter the desired
> chapter number in place of the -1.
>
> It might also be desirable to be able to specify, say, -2 (or maybe ?,
> or similar), and get a list with lengths (and possibly other available
> information) of *all* of the chapters by number.
>
> Hmm. This sounds interesting, and potentially within the bounds of my
> ability to actually do; if no one else picks up on this, I may just have
> a look at it myself.

It seems to me that the most intuitive way would be to have, say,
"mplayer dvd://" play all the tracks, in order, and to have dvd://? list
all the tracks and their lengths, perhaps marking the longest ones with
an asterisk.  Something like:

There are 7 tracks on this DVD
track  1:    2:30:00
track  2:   42:20:30    *
track  3:   42:10:20    *
track  4:   41:58:32    *
track  5:   42:06:20    *
track  6:   32:41:20
track  7:    1:30:24

And if verbosity was turned on (and this is the part that I think I
would use the most), it could print some more information about the dvd,
such as number of angles, audio/sub languages available, and so forth.
Something like:

track  1:    2:30:00    1 angle / 1 chapter / aud 128=en / sub (none)
track  2:   42:20:30   2 angles / 5 chapters / aud 128=en 129=ja 130=sp
/ sub 1=en 2=fr
... and so forth.

But then, I imagine that might be difficult. But I'd use it, for sure.

-lt