[MPlayer-users] subtitles embedded in containers as ogm / mkv

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Jul 23 11:18:32 CEST 2004

Hi,

> however if one does not specify either -slang or -sid nothing will be
> displayed,

That is intentional.

> not even a warning or a message, that mplayer found something.

That depends on each demuxer because mplayer doesn't have any
centralized subtitle management.

> in the manpage its written that -slang en  would use english-subtitles (if
> available) ... for me only -slang eng works. is this a typo in the docs, the
> code or my fault?

Your fault (partially). The docs are written for DVD subtitles which use
two letter codes. However, each demuxer parses -slang according to
however the _container_ in question stores the language. For Matroska
these are three-letter ISO639-2 codes like 'eng' for English, 'fre' for
French etc. OGM only has free-form language tags like 'LANGUAGE=English'
or 'LANGUAGE=en' or whatever the user chose.

Mosu