[MPlayer-users] making a vcd from certian chapters

ronnie escobedo tenminuteslater at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 18:03:55 CEST 2004

I've been using mplayer for over a year now to view dvds on my laptop and
make audio cds from my concert dvds. I think this is a fabulous program.
Just recently I began to dabble in making vcd's. I've encountered some
problems but nothing I wasn't able to resolve from reading the mailing list.
I use the following on fedora core 2

mplayer-1.0pre4-4
mencoder-1.0pre4-4
vcdimager-0.7.14-1.1.fc2.fr.1.fc2.dag
mjpegtools-1.6.2-3.1.fc2.dag
mjpegtools-devel-1.6.2-3.1.fc2.dag

One thing I would like to do is create a vcd from certain chapters on a dvd.
I wasn't able to find this information on the list. I am assuming that I
would have to transfer the chapters to the hard drive first. I've done this
using the following commands:

mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom -chapter 1-4 -dumpstream -dumpfile
partOne

mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom -chapter 10-12 -dumpstream -dumpfile
partTwo

mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom -chapter 21-24 -dumpstream -dumpfile
partThree

I then try and create the vcd using the following command:

mencvd MyVcd -vnorm -vfr 4 -noburn /home/vidFiles/*

I'd like to mention that I've been succesful at creating a vcd from an
entire dvd by using:
mencvd MyVcd -vnorm -vfr 4 -noburn mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom

Would it work out if best if I created a vcd for each set of chapters then
burn all the 'bin' and 'cue' files to a cd? Or would this scenario cause
some conflicts?
The mencvcd script makes makiing vcds easy however it takes forever on my
system. Is there another method or script that is recommended that will
speed up the process.
A few more questions when I use dumpstream with mplayer it creates a raw
video file, correct? If I were to transfer that file to a win system what
kind of extention should I add to it?