[MPlayer-users] XviD ignores bitrate

Hans du Plooy hdp at webmail.co.za
Fri Jul 23 19:36:04 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I encountered a vob file that for some reason makes mplayer give an error
halfway through the second pass.  Can't remember the error, but that's
besides the point.

I'm trying out encoding with XviD.  All is fine, it makes it through the
second pass, and looks pretty good, but ignores the bitrate I specified
(which might explain why it looks so good).

My options are
-xvidencopts bitrate=900:gmc:hq_ac:vhq=4:pass=2

May not be the "right" way, but it's my first try with XviD -'tis why I ask.
None of the options are mentioned in conjunction with a trade-off in size in
the manpage.

Problem is that the resulting avi file is encoded at a bitrate of 1524,
resulting in a much bigger file.  This doesn't bother me in the first pass,
but it does in the second.

Any pointers as to why this is happening?  I'm using MPlayer-1.0pre5 and
XviD-1.0.0rc2 although I've had this problem before with older versions.

Thanks
Hans