[MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] recent cvs: File not found: 'frameno.avi'

antoine melser.anton at neuf.fr
Mon Jul 26 18:27:11 CEST 2004

J. Grant wrote:

> Hi lt,
>
>> Mencoder always looks for frameno.avi... it's existence or lack
>> thereof tells mencoder if it's doing 3 pass encoding or not.
>> Therefore, the message should be there to tell the user what mencoder
>> is doing.
>

> Are any users aware of this essential link between frameno.avi and 3
> pass encoding?  Perhaps the text displayed could reflect this?
>
> And not the present:
>
>> File not found: 'frameno.avi'
>> Failed to open frameno.avi
>

> This is presently misleading.

I'm afraid I have found mplayer extremely lacking in friendliness of
docs and messages. I stopped using it for a while cos of what might be
conceived of as an elitist ethos surrounding it... I had to come back
though - it is, in spite of this unfriendliness, the ultimate media
player/encoder.
Cheers
Antoine