[MPlayer-users] Re: [SLE] Playing DVDs on MPlayer from a directory takes a long time to start

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at fugro-jason.com
Tue Jul 27 21:35:51 CEST 2004

* Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof at xs4all.nl> (Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:13:04PM +0200)
> Hello all,

> I've tried playing DVDs from a directory (rather than the disk) using:
> mplayer -fs dvd://1 -dvd-device /home/phulshof/hp2
> It works like a charm, but it takes a long time (about 2 minutes) to start!
> After that it runs fine, but that starting time is a tad too much for me. I
> have no such problems when I play directly from the DVD. DMA is on on all
> disks, but I kinda figure it treats the DVD as a 'loading when needed' while
> it treats the directory as a 'load everything before you start'. Any
> thoughts?

Did you build mplayer yourself from the (latest) sources  ?

I suually play the VOB files directly
(as in mplayer /path/to/files/copied/from/dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

which starts up just fine

I tried your way (with a live concert DVD I'd rcently downloaded)
mplayer  -fs dvd://1 -dvd-device .
and that started up immediately as well

%  mplayer -v
MPlayer 1.0pre4-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices 64-bit CPU

Currently listening to: cvb20040318t19

	Gerhard,  <faliquid at xs4all.nl>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	so it goes with every season crawl to top fall through bottom
 =`\<, 	first hand love is really rotten