[MPlayer-users] Confused about deinterlacing and scaling

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Jul 28 13:01:21 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, 28 July 2004 at 09:36, * wrote:
> Hello, I'm about to spend 14+ days encoding some DVDs of television
> shows and it would be *fantastic* if someone could glance at my
> options and point out anything wrong (from past history I'm positive
> I must be doing at least a couple things wrong).
>
> In particular I'm confused about the pp to use for deinterlacing.
> It sounds like pp=lb is best in theory but I have to say that pp=ci
> looks a lot less blurry.
>
> Also I'm not clear on whether (or how) to scale after deinterlacing
> and cropping.
>
> Anyway here are some relevant lines from the mplayer header:
>
>     VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps  9800.0 kbps
>     Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
>     VO: [xv] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12
>
> Maybe the 720x540 means it was originally PAL TV?

No. PAL DVDs are encoded with 720x576 resolution. And yours looks like
NTSC, so I think what you're seeing is not interlacing but telecine.
MEncoder can reverse it using pullup or filmdint. See
menc-feat-telecine.html in the HTML docs. Remember to consult man mplayer
before using any filters (for example, you need softskip after pullup for
it to work correctly and all inverse telecine filters need -ofps
24000/1001).

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer.html