[MPlayer-users] How to play 1080i HDTV material

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Wed Jul 28 13:24:24 CEST 2004

Adam Nielsen wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've been having this problem with mplayer for ages, and it's quite
>annoying as my computer should now be fast enough to watch HDTV in
>realtime (well I assume so because when I do play HDTV video my CPU is
>nowhere near 100%.)  I'm even more certain the CPU speed isn't the
>problem though, because when I play the video it's not just slow, it's
>corrupted (e.g. the blocky effect you get when watching corrupted
>Xvid/MPEG2.)
>
>Is it possible to watch HDTV material with mplayer?  The 'blocky' effect
>seems to happen at the same time the "size restrictions for MP at ML or
>MPEG1 exceeded! (1920x1088)" message is displayed (about four times a
>second.)  Is HDTV resolution too high for mplayer to handle?
>
>Thanks,
>Adam.

that warning was removed at least 3 weeks ago; not much was added
but at least this proves that you should upgrade your mplayer.

Do other players play smoothly that content?
With my p4 2.4/800 only windvd 4 (sorry) can play smoothly 1920x1088 clips
(didn't measure how long it lasts).

Did you try -vc ffmpeg12 ?

About the corruption: are you sure it's not due to poor DVB reception?

    Nico