[MPlayer-users] How to backup a DVD with reduced video quality?

Fabio Papa fn024607 at yahoo.it
Thu Jul 29 13:48:15 CEST 2004

Pieter Hulshoff wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'd like to make backups of my DVDs using 2 Mb/s i.s.o. 8 Mb/s mpeg2
>videostreams while still retaining all audio/subtitle functionalities. On the
>suggestion of someone here I recently started using dvdbackup for the backup
>of my DVDs, but how can I effectively change the videostream from 8 to 2 Mb/s
>while retaining the ability to place the data on a DVD?

Hi Pieter,
what you're trying to achieve is basically utopic. I tried the same,
failing every time. You'll encounter a variety of solid walls which
cannot be circumvented, like:

1. 2Mbit per sec would mean you will have to use small resolutions, like
352x288, or CIF. Only few DVD players, that I had the possibility to
try, know how to play that.

2. Even if you're lucky enough to have a capable settop player, you said
you want to include subtitle streams also. Very few programs can do
352x288 _with_ subtitles.

3. When you finally succeed to the above, you will notice how poor a
352x288 mpeg2 movie can be.

I gave up a while ago with this idea, and started using my computer as a
DVD player connected to the TV. While this is more complicated to setup
and use, it gives you miles of advantages over normal DVD player. Just
think that with the same amount of bandwith, you can fit a 640x480 movie
with all the subs you want....

Bye, Fabio