[MPlayer-users] Dynamic crossfade between videos?

Steve Castellotti steve at theProfessionalAmateur.com
Thu Jul 29 20:52:32 CEST 2004

hey all-

	I'm working on some software which uses a playlist (external to
mplayer) to queue up and display videos. If someone requests a different
video in the playlist while another video is currently playing, I would
like to dynamically blend the changeover, like a crossfade effect.

	I believe this should be possible if I can play one video on top over
another, and adjust the alpha levels of the second video. For instance,
the second video starts at 100% alpha, then that level slowly decreases.
When it reaches 0% alpha (fully opaque/normal video display) then the
first video is no longer visible and can be killed.

	This functionality is not very different than the "bmovl" video filter
that lets you overlay images and dynamically adjust their transparency
for a fade-in effect, but I want to do this with live video.

	One thought I had was that perhaps SDL output could be leveraged, with
both mplayer instances writing to separate layers whose transparency is
controlled via OpenGL. This is the route I am currently investigating.

	Can anyone offer any pointers or suggestions?

Cheers

Steve Castellotti