[MPlayer-users] DVD Playback problems

Daniel Klein bringa at gmx.at
Fri Jul 30 01:38:25 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've compiled the most recent mplayer and I'm trying to play a DVD now.
mplayer version:

bringa at stalin:~/Movies/x$ mplayer -dvd-device /cdrom dvd://4
MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.3.4 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

What I get then is this:

Playing dvd://4.
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdc mounted on /cdrom for CSS
authentication
libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hdc for reading
libdvdread: Device /dev/hdc inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
There are 23 titles on this DVD.
There are 2 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
DVD successfully opened.

I am confused. Did it open or not?

What happens next is that mplayer just sits there. There's constant
access to the DVD drive. Nothing else happens (I've waited for 10 minutes).

This DVD drive has worked before without problems in Windows and on a
SuSE install I've had on before. Right now I'm running debian unstable,
if that matters.

Mplayer plays movie files just fine.

Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions.

Daniel