[MPlayer-users] DVD player under Windows that can play DVDs from HD

Pieter Hulshoff phulshof at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 30 14:34:07 CEST 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 14:26, Sascha Sommer wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 13:20, Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Thanx to some wonderful work from members of this list I've now managed
> > to get several of my DVDs onto my HD. Playing them with xine and mplayer
> > is not a big deal of course, but my wife and daughter insist on using
> > Windows '98. Is there a (free preferably) DVD player for that OS that can
> > play DVDs straight from the HD? I do mean DVDs, including
> > languages/subtitles, etc., and not just the VOB files (managed that
> > already with several programs).
>
> I don't know how you playback the dvds on linux, but the windows version
> of MPlayer from the download page should work the same.

Yeah, but where I don't mind using commandline under Linux, I don't think I
can persuade my family to do the same under Windows. Actually, under Linux
I've already added an entry in Konqueror to just open a directory with
mplayer as if that directory contains the DVD. Sure, it won't give me menu's,
but I can play them quite nicely. :)

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff