[MPlayer-users] can't rip realaudio

Marvin R. Pierce mpierce at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 1 02:15:30 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 09:09, marcslists at optonline.net wrote:
> I'd like to be able to rip (record) a one hour realaudio live
> broadcast once a week.  I've tried mplayer -dumpstream url.  It
> downloads into stream.dump.  There seems no way to stop it exept
> ctrl-c, but I could deal with that if it worked.

I too was grappling with the same problem and am using this solution on
my Libranet2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) system.

I installed a program called gramofile which is a commandline program
that does exactly what you and I want to do.

My sound system is alsa so, make sure you have the correct things
enabled, ie, capture in the mixer if you are using alsa.

Run gramofile in a terminal. It will launch giving you six options after
the splash screen. Select #1, Record audio to a sound file. The default
file name will be new.wav. Tab to start recording (or mixer to launch
your sound mixer) and select, it will now wait for you to select start.

Run realplayer and select start in the gramofile window. It will record
your entire program without any problems.

I recorded a program last night:
mpierce at Mother:~$ ls new.wav -al
-rw-r--r--    1 mpierce  mpierce  1058400044 May 31 21:17 new.wav

I'll edit the program and save what I want using my favourite sound
editor.

That's all there is to it. Good luck!

Marvin
---