[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 5, Issue 109

Magnus magnus-swe at telia.com
Tue Jun 1 02:38:52 CEST 2004

> On Monday, 31 May 2004 at 01:12, Magnus wrote:
> [...]
> > Unsatisfied dependencies in the rpm's...
> > > No, this is completely intentional. You obviously didn't read or
> > > understood the info on my website. Hint: try installing both at once.
> >
> > > Downloaded from: http://luna.cs.ccsu.edu/dominik/apt/7.3/RPMS.testing
> >
> > > BTW: Try the Fedora port of the repository (apt/fc1/*)
> >
> > Hmm, thats what i used. I must have copy/pasted the wrong URL with 7.3,
> > sorry for that.
>
> Never mind, it should be the same with 7.3 RPMs. They are built from
> the same SRPM.
Ok.

> > sources.list:
> > rpm http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/linux/mplayer/apt fc1 stable
>
> Add "testing" at the and of that line.
Those where ok.

> > apt]# apt-get install mplayer mplayer-common (or individually)
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> > or been moved out of Incoming.
> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:

> >   mplayer: Depends: mplayer-common (= 0.92.1) but 2:0.92.1-1 is to be
> > installed
> >   mplayer-common: Depends: mplayer (= 0.92.1)
> > E: Broken packages
> >
> > Or can i install it in some other way by using apt ?
>
> No, this is my fault. The 0.92.1 release suffers from the same problem
> that was reported about 1.0pre4-2.
The testpackages worked great.. good job.

> > I also downloaded these (and the regular i386 packages):
> > mplayer-1.0pre4-4.athlon.rpm and
> > mplayer-common-1.0pre4-4.athlon.rpm
> >
> > From:
> > http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/linux/mplayer-rpms/apt/fc1/RPMS.stable/
> >
> > Tried to install it...:
> > # ls -l
> > total 2300
> > -rw-------  1 root root 1204837 31 may 00.13 mplayer-0.92.1-1.athlon.rpm
> > -rw-------  1 root root 1135063 31 may 00.13
> > mplayer-common-0.92.1-1.athlon.rpm
> >
> > # rpm -ivh mplayer*
> > error: unsatisfied dependencies:
> >         mplayer-common = 0.92.1 needed by mplayer-0.92.1-1
> >         mplayer = 0.92.1 needed mplayer-common-0.92.1-1
>
> Ah, but you should _install_ a new version if you have one already
> installed! _Upgrade_ instead, just as my website tells you:
> rpm -Uvh mplayer*
I ran rpm -e mplayer mplayer-common before trying to install.
But nm.

> [...]
> > Seems i just needed to upgrade to this package:
> > mplayer-codecs-win32-dmo-9.0-1.i386.rpm
>
> The 2.0 version is current. Sorry for the confusion, but I changed the
> versioning and convinced RPM that it's newer than 9.0, because actually,
> it's 2:2.0 and 1:9.0. ;)
;)

> > It works perfectly now (except for the apt and rpm parts).
> >
> > Why does mplayer-common have to have a dependency of mplayer ?
>
> Well, you need the docs, the manpage and the config files in both MPlayer
> and GMPlayer. There's no point in installing a single binary without the
> accompanying files.
Yes, i know but it can also cause some confusion.
What would happen if this dependency was taken out from mplayer-common
and if people only installed mplayer, wouldnt it scream about missing
libs then ?
It would still work for APTers or Yummers.
Just a thought.

Sincerely: Magnus-swe