[MPlayer-users] XvMC depandancies

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Tue Jun 1 16:12:14 CEST 2004

Carl Karsten said:
>> Checking for XvMC ... no
>>
>> What do I need to use that?
> --enable-xvmc
>
> That didn't help.  I am guessing I am missing something from my x.org build.

Hmm, never seen x.org , so I will tell you how it works on XFree86.
First XvMC library is splited on 2 parts. A common library that
have only few non significant functions and device dependant
library that is specific for the hardware. (No idea why they have
not done it right - with automatic switching, depening on the device).

So the configure scrtipt checks for XvMCNvidia (or something like that)
that is the driver that get installed with NVidia binnary driver,
and is the only known (by me) driver that have hardware IDCT decoding.

Without it software decoding (with mmx,3dnow,sse) is faster.

There is another library (i810) that comes with xfree86, but I do
not include it as it may be present even if you don't have i810 card.

The S3 ProSavige/Twister driver is currently not operational (some
interput mess with dri, that I cannot even give it a try I don't
have the hardware)

I don't know if ATI have any xvmc software support (even by binnary drivers.

i don't remember the additional switch to point xvmc library
but it was something line --with-xvmclib=
you can point the library name (without .a/.so) or full pathname.

Wish you luck.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive