[MPlayer-users] Two-passes encoding - What happens exactly?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 22:25:15 CEST 2004

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Alain Barthélemy wrote:
>
>> Le mardi 01 juin 2004, 16:11:22 ou environ Nico Sabbi
>> <nsabbi at tiscali.it> a écrit:

Mono sound is what -lameopts mode=3 means. I do not know of any way to
specify mono sound in libavcodec, at least not with MEncoder.

-lavcopts abitrate=96 is the same as your -lameopts br=96.

Now that I think about it, there also does not (by the man page) appear
to be any way to specify CBR mode in libavcodec.

>>> because the default codec is mp2 (which compresses much less and
>>> worse), not mp3
>>
>> Now one answer leads to another question. I was talking about
>> default abitrate and you talk about default codec. What is the task
>> of -oac mp3lame -lameopts ...? I thought lame encoded with mp3 as
>> audio codec (at least in my setting).
>
> it does, and as far as I know using -oac mp3lame is the only way to
> encode to mp3: when I posted the patch to encode audio using
> libavcodec acodec=mp3 was not accepted
> (avcodec_find_encoder_by_name() failed). Maybe now libavcodec has
> some bridge code that calls lame to encode audio??

I don't know about that, but the man page's section on -lavcopts acodec
lists mp2, mp3, ac3, and adpcm_ima_wav - and my default
quality-isn't-that-important encoding script uses -oac lavc -lavcopts
acodec=mp3, with no apparent problems.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.