[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Matthias Wieser matthias-wieser at t-online.de
Wed Jun 2 00:34:44 CEST 2004

Am Dienstag, 1. Juni 2004 19:48 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 03:30:56PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> > I mean that my monitor's brightness is tweaked to the right level,
> > and
>
> No, it's tweaked to the wrong level. That's the problem.

If lavc videos only look well when watched with an old, bad TV/Monitor
with high gamma, something is wrong.

The problem not only lies in dark areas but bright areas like sky, too.

> > OK, I'm gonna try xvid and tell if I see the same problems. Maybe
> > really it's time to say goodbye to lavc. It may be good at middle &
> > low bitrates, but when trying to encode dvds to get vhq rips, its
> > behaviour isn't good.
>
> This is nonsense. lavc gives much better psnr and much higher visual
> quality (no artifacts whatsoever!) compared to xvid and divx,

Compared to xvid from summer 2002?
Just try yourself: Encode a movie with low bitrate and watch some nearly
flat areas - there the blocks are. Watch the movie with postprocessing
and you won't see those blocks. But not everyone uses postprocessing.

         Matthias