[MPlayer-users] Doubling frame rate

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 3 04:30:57 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:12:22PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> > which is really 60fps but just stupidly stored as 30fps.
>
> I think given an interlaced signal like NTSC it's not stupid to store it
> as 30fps interlaced.  Why do you say it's stupid?

Well it's stupid to treat two fields (which don't belong together) as
one frame. Unless you use 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 mode (which is never used in
practice) the chroma from the two fields will bleed together and make
nasty artifacts. And worst of all, treating field pairs as frames is
_really_ confusing to users who don't understand interlaced video.

Rich