[MPlayer-users] Fitting a big file on a 700mb cd with mencoder?

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Sat Jun 5 00:53:32 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 18:34, Brian Neltner wrote:
> I just joined this mailing list after a while of being gone, so I'm sorry if
> my response does not address your question appropriately, but...
>
> why don't you just use avisplit?  I think it even comes with the avidemux
> package, or at least the transcode packages.  I'm pretty sure that
>
> avisplit -s 700 <filename.avi>
>
> will split up your avi into as many 700 MB chunks as it takes to do the entire
> movie.  It's also fast, because it just takes the entire file, splits it up,
> and then reindexes the movie.
>
> Just an idea, sorry if it's irrelevant or has been tried already.

The original message:

So i used ffmpeg to encode some file into svcd with this command:

$ ffmpeg -i movie.avi -target svcd ~/movieout.mpg

Well, that worked and all, but now i have a really big file:

1403389232 Jun 4 02:05 movieout.mpg

I'm pretty sure this is not an avi, but mpeg2 (or mpeg1?)  Does avisplit
work on those?  It does in fact come in the transcode package.

--
Aaron Peterson <aaron at alpete.com>