[MPlayer-users] deinterlace+horiz scale

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jun 5 15:34:25 CEST 2004

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 06:52:43 +0400
Mikhail Ramendik <mr at ramendik.ru> wrote:

> Oops, found -vf field.
>
> And it (-vf field,scale 768x576) did give me the necessary fps for
> realtime!

I was trying out "-vf field" a while back, and I found something
strange.  It seems the quality is much better if I just use scale to
halve the vertical resolution, rather than using field.  -vf field
resulted in stair-stepping lines, and just an all-around much lower
quality picture, while halving the resolution with scale produced a
picture that looked very nearly as good as full-res.

It's always possible it could have been a bug in the version of MPlayer
I was using, but I thought I'd mention it just in-case it wasn't, and if
others want to try it out...