[MPlayer-users] Re: encoding from stdin

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sat Jun 5 23:02:43 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > seeking will definitely be needed for encoding with b-frames
>
> Actually it's impossible to do it that way, since you have to decode
> the source video in order (for most formats). When using B frames the
> encoder just has to keep the previous frames it wants to encode as B
> until after it gets the next frame it will encode as I/P.

Then why *does* it try to seek? I use stdin with raw dv video (captured
right from the camera) and it says "seek failed". Why seek anyway?

(This is one case where I can't use transcode, because mencoder, when
tried on files, gives me enough performance for realtime - and transcode
does not. I'm nearly sure transcode won't have this problem, because it
uses fifos internally; but the fifos may be causing the lower
performance. As for ffmpeg binaries, I can't use it because they just
segfault on me, and the ffmpeg-devel list is silent).

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik