[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 6 07:00:36 CEST 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 23:20:15 +0200
matthias-wieser at t-online.de (Matthias Wieser) wrote:

> No, I'm not (stupidly) using vqscale=. I'm using vbitrate=...
> I'm mostly real-time encoding from cable TV with

Single-pass encoding doesn't really count.  You need to do 2-pass
encoding to get really good results at non-astronomical bitrates.

However, it's most likely that the cause of the blocks is actually
hqdn3d... I wouldn't recomend it at all unless you've got really noisy
video, as it does lower quality significantly, and I certainly wouldn't
recomend using values as high as the ones you are using, unless your
recieving a static-filled signal over-the-air from a distant station, or
something like that.

> but reserve slightly more bits for seemingly
> simple flat areas like sky, streets, walls and so on. (Xvid mode ?)

There are hundreds of lavc options.  I'm sure there are more than one
that would improve video for you.