[MPlayer-users] Re: xvid and mencoder - corrupt headers?

ivanova flamingivanova at punkass.com
Sun Jun 6 16:31:50 CEST 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:49:43 +0200
Tobias Diedrich <ranma at tdiedrich.de> wrote:

> The patch only affects how mplayer behaves when _reading_ a file.
> Changing ODML_CHUNKLEN affects _writing_ a file.
>
> The problem the patch fixes is as follows:
>
> If you are writing a file and it gets bigger then 1GB mencoder will
> produce an ODML avi by default (unless you use the -noodml switch).
> In an ODML conformant avi the first GB ist more or less self-contained
> in that it has an old-style avi index for this first GB.
>
> Because the buggy reading code ignores the ODML extension for file <=2GB
> seeking is broken for mencoder-created ODML files between 1GB and 2GB in
> size.
>
> Now the attached patch looks whether or not it needs to use the ODML
> extensions and only uses them if it needs to (for _reading_ of avi
> files).
>
> > Is this patch included in the latest CVS version? - I'll try it out.
>
> Yes it is.

Ok everything is clear to me now thanks ;)

Does ODML have any benifit for files between 1GB and 2GB? Would there be any ill effects if I use -noodml if I know the file is not going to be more than 2GB? As far as I could see avidemux or some of the utils that come with transcode (tcprobe) does not recognise the odml avis. So not using ODML for files under 2GB would be more compatible.