[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Jun 7 06:20:08 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 00:05 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Nope, the first (frameno) pass does the a/v sync (choosing which
> frames to drop or duplicate) which can't be done correctly without
> decoding and filtering them. And it doesn't decode them. So it's
> broken.

That makes sense.  Thanks.

> > money into my home theatre setup, and when I hear crap in my rear
> > speakers because my receiver is trying to find a channel in the high
> > frequencies that has been compressed to hell, I go batty.  It's really
> > annoying. :)
>
> Then disable that "feature"...

Well sure, I can take my receiver out of Dolby Prologic mode and put it
into stereo, but then I might as well just put my headphones on and
listen that way.

Watching a movie with no rear channel(s) (or a rear channel with audible
artifacts) just totally ruins the experience for me.

Now, luckily, you can encode your audio as vorbis, and I can copy my
audio stream raw, and we can both be happy. :)  I suppose the definition
of "high quality" is going to depend on your watching environment.

> Also: don't denoise.

Well, I do say denoise.  I just denoise very little.  But I updated that
section (and a few others, based on your comments) to encourage
experimenting with higher values.  Based on my experience, I'm not
comfortable recommending the default values for hqdn3d.

> Never scale up. Always scale down or not at all. Personally my pick
> depends on whether the original was a movie or made-for-tv. I always
> try to avoid vertical scaling when the original was made for tv (since
> the line sampling corresponds to the way the content was originally
> recorded) but that's pretty irrelevant when the original is film.

Thanks, that's good advice.

> Yes, or conversely using insane bitrates lets you get by with being
> sloppy. And I don't like sloppiness.

I don't like sloppiness either, and I don't want to offer any advice in
the guide that encourages it.

Cheers,
Jason.