[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jun 7 10:01:06 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 12:43:34AM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:50:51 -0400
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > This is nonsense. At fixed bitrate encoding, denoise3d will always
> > improve quality
>
> And, at fixed-bitrate encoding, pp=lb will always improve quality over
> pp=md...  It amazes me how contradictory your advice seems to be...

Both are very bad and I would recommend against doing either. Keep
your interlaced movies interlaced or go to 50/60 fps with tfields.
Deinterlacing inherently butchers the quality by throwing away half
the framerate.

Now if you want to argue over which is worse (lb or md) it really
depends on the content. I would say md is much worse for low-motion
and lb is much worse for high motion.

> hqdn3d creates artifacts that I really strongly dislike.  I find it much
> better to use up a few more bits (and I really mean very "few") and get
> something that looks much better, doesn't have picture distortion, nor
> discoloration problems.

OK, fair enough.

Rich