[MPlayer-users] Cache doesn't refill

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Jun 7 13:01:12 CEST 2004

> >What were you playing that was getting underruns?

> a bit of everything: dvb from the card, rtp (both with live libraries
> and without) and http streams.

Hmm...are you sure the card is supplying the data fast enough then?  If
you record the dvb to disk and after a couple of seconds play back the
file while it's recording, does mplayer 'catch up' and quit when it
reaches the end of the file?  If so, mplayer is playing the data too
quickly (e.g. I would expect this behaviour if you were playing a 25fps
movie at 30fps.)

> Enlarging the cache delays the problem, but doesn't solve it, and adds
> too high delays when changing channel.

If it only delays the problem, it sounds like mplayer can't get the data
fast enough for some reason.  Although the mplayer cache appears strange
and it never wants to keep up, it does seem pretty reliable and I've
always eventually found out that something else was to blame for the
buffer underruns.

Cheers,
Adam.