[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Tue Jun 8 00:00:55 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:36, Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> I notice about the same amount of artifacting when my face is 1 foot
> away from my 15" LCD laptop screen as I do when I watch the video on my
> 52" rear projection about 9 feet away.  Perhaps slightly more on the tv,
> but it's close.

Nice. I gotta get me a real TV :)

> > Yes I read this. Its much better than the default on btw, and I added
> > some comments at the end of my last email.
>
> Ok, thanks.  I'll do a bunch of testing with *cmp=(2|3) so I can
> convince myself it's superior. :)
>
> > does that noise bit add in the 2:1:2 that was taken out?
>
> It adds a lot more, in fact.  hqdn3d=2:1:2 is very little.  Too little,
> according to Rich, but I'd rather be overly conservative.  With -vf
> noise=8ah:5ah (or so), it has about as much noise as the DVD does, and
> it masks certain artifacts.

Could you explain that further? I'm not sure what you mean by adds as
much noise as the DVD does.. do dvd players actually add noise to the
signal?

> It all comes down to perception.  Obviously by adding random noise
> you're lowering the PSNR, but it _looks_ a lot more convincing.

Hum. I gotta think about that some.

> > wondering if you should depend on spp, or just up the bit rate? Ie,
> > should I be doing my tests by running the stream through spp for
> > viewing, or just viewing it "as is"?
>
> Upping the bitrate stops helping when every frame is already using qp=2.
> spp helps clean up the image to a certain extent, and adding a bit of
> noise helps even more, IMO.

Well, you dont want every frame to be q=2 do you? I was under the
assumtion that you can get away wtih q > 2 on low motion frames.

Let me ask this. Does q=2 use as much space on a fast motion frame as it
does on a low motion frame? I always thought solid q values used about
teh same bits no matter what they were encoding?

> I think relying on PSNR to find your optimal bitrate is a mistake.  At
> higher bitrates, PSNR appears to be much less meaningful.
>
> Write a script that encodes your clips at various bitrates and view
> them.  Have your script also take several still frames at various
> positions so that you can do an A/B toggle.  (Doing A/B on stills is
> less telling, but at least it's something.)
>
> In fact, I've already written such a script (brutal hack) to do some
> lavc/xvid comparisons.  It's definitely interesting to view the results.

I dont know if i agree. At some eprcentage below optimal encoding PSNR
falls off sharply. Gut feeling tells me this falloff is where the human
eye starts to notice problems.

Encode a 240 second chunk at various bitrates and graph it. PSNR values
are not linear. Its that non linearity that has me pondering different
schemes.

> > Er what did he do last night? whats cmp=10?
>
> Read the last few emails in the "lavc vs. xvid" thread.  I uploaded a
> clip where lavc showed quite a lot of blocky artifacts, and he added a
> new cmp func called NSSE that worked wonders.

Ah. I stopped reading towards the end. I need to read and check it out.

> > Is that the 10 function? In the past higher psnr values have always
> > looked better, or the same to me. I can't remember when a lower one
> > actually looked better...
>
> PSNR might be the best quantifiable way to measure quality, but quality
> is also a matter of perception.  Adding noise reduces PSNR but masks
> those pesky blocks.  The brain has an easier time ignoring random noise
> than dancing blocks.  (At least my brain does.)

I completely agree with this. However past a certain point those washed
out blocks tend to run mudding looking. This is jsut as bad, if not
worse.

> > I think some of the asm optimizations for p4 are fubared somewhere :P
>
> I think most of the asm optimizations are MMX, with work the same on
> both AMD and Intel.  I don't know enough about mplayer to explain the
> difference.

Hopefully someone does. Its been bugging me for a while.