[MPlayer-users] dropped macroclocks and sound glitches

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 08:22:38 CEST 2004

I hope someone can give me some insight into why this
happens.

I use Pinnacle Studio under windows to grab VHS
content and save using the SonyDV codec (lossless,
28Mb/sec constant bitrate).

When I view the AVI using mplayer, or transcode using
mencoder, I frequently see dropped macroblocks and
sound glitches.  They usually occur on 1GB byte
boundaries, although occasionally occur at points
where a frame or two was dropped during the initial
video capture.

Interesting thing is that when I seek to the bad
points in the AVI under Pinnacle Studio in windows the
frame looks OK.  It is only under Linux using
mplayer/mencoder that I notice any dropped
macroblocks.

Furthermore, if I transcode to MPEG4/xvid/divx etc.
under windows the output doesn't display the problem.
Only when I transcode using mencoder do I see the
problem.

On a related issue, I try to break down the large AVI
into chunks under 1GB in size and transcode with
mencoder by piping the chunks from stdin, but it only
encodes the first chunk, even though the output file
size is indicative of the whole sequence.  It stops at
the first chunk file boundary when playing.  I've
tried using the -noidx option without success.

Any workaround or am I doomed to transcoding under
windows, at about 1/8th the speed of transcoding under
linux?

I'm using 1.0pre4.