[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jun 8 17:16:17 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:15:42AM +0200, H du Plooy wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 06:25, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > OF-FUCKING-COURSE IT DOES!!! WHAT PART OF BITS PER SECOND DO YOU NOT
> > UNDERSTAND?!?! THERE IS NO UNIT OF "PIXELS" IN BITS PER SECOND!!
> I stand corrected.
>
> > Sorry for yelling but I am tired of listening to people who are
> > completely clueless and incompetent denying basic mathematical fact.
> What the specifications for bitrate in an mpeg stream is, has absolutely
> nothing to do with mathematics.  Stop insulting me.

No, the only thing relevant is that the units are bits per second.
Regardless of anything else, the fact that there is no unit of pixels
means that, given the bitrate (bits/second) and movie length (seconds)
you have determined the size, and thus pixels are irrelevant.

> > If you don't understand it, that's fine, but don't make assertions
> > that are blatently false.
> Which is why I used terms like "think" and "my take" - I even hinted at the
> possibility that I might have it wrong.

In the usage I'm familiar with, "I think not!" is a sarcastic remark
one makes about something which is certainly wrong... If that's not
the way you meant it, then once again we have a language barrier.

Rich