[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jun 8 23:10:02 CEST 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:04:35 +0200
Hans du Plooy <hdp at webmail.co.za> wrote:

> And, sorry, say what you like but 96kbit/s (even ogg at that rate)
> sounds disgusting.

Lots of people convince themselves they hear defects in lossless audio,
but few really do...  At 96k, I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference
between a Vorbis file and the original, and I have pretty good ears.
Any audio encoded to MP3 (even with lame) at less than 192k VBR sounds
terrible to me.  Yet with Vorbis, even at 64k, I'd say few people will
be able to hear even a rare artifact.  At 96k, I'd bet less than 1 in 10
million can hear the difference, and I sincerly doubt anybody can
honestly think it sounds "disgusting".

> Either you are using onboard sound (there isn't such a thing as good
> onboard sound),

There certainly is such a thing as good onboard sound, and it comes on
good motherboards...  That said, I'm personally using SB Live soundcards
on my systems (they're dirt-cheap these days), so you can't blame the
hardware.