[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Wed Jun 9 17:09:35 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:19 +0300, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
> Original subject was about an article about video encoding. :)
> The discussion was gone away mant messages ago. :)

Well actually, it was about making the highest quality DVD rip possible.
That does include audio, but yes, somewhere along the line this thread
has spun out of control. :)

> but 112 or 128 kbps vorbis should be enough for movies without lot
> of music, for slightly-above-average home user. When music is the
> important part of the movie, e.g. in LOTR, I agree, 192kbps is needed.

I can only repeat what I wrote in the guide:

        You might be tempted to transcode the audio to high quality Ogg
        Vorbis, but just because you don't have an A/V receiver for AC3
        pass-through today doesn't mean you won't have one tomorrow.
        Future-proof your DVD rips by preserving the AC3 stream.

When you need to make your movie fit on a CD, then I'll agree this is
stupid advice.  But when you're ripping your DVD to your terabyte SAN,
I'll accuse anyone who recompresses the AC3 stream of being nuts. :)

Cheers,
Jason.