[MPlayer-users] Re: Cache doesn't refill

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Wed Jun 9 18:55:58 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:43:14PM +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > It's as if the card fed data too slowly.
>
> That's exactly what it sounds like.
>
> > I'm sure there's no data lost, because otherwise I would have plenty
> > of "dvb_streaming_read()" errors  on the console. There's no A/V
> > breakage or discontinuity of any kind. Dmesg doesn't report problems,
> > either.
>
> And as you said, it also happens with rtp and http so it's unlikely to
> be the fault of DVB.

With DVB it is easy to explain:
MPlayer syncs video to the clock of the soundcard IIRC. If your soundcard
is a bit too fast, your cache will run out sooner or later since the
broadcast comes in with a steady framerate. It is well known that soundcards
are pretty bad wrt their clock accuracy.

When i was using vls / vlc to stream live-capture via rtp multicast, i
noticed that vlc started resampling the sound to a little bit higher
or lower rate to keep the sync with the transmitting vls. That is probably
the only sane solution to this problem.
--
Stefan Seyfried