[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Fri Jun 11 02:05:41 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 16:18, Jan Knutar wrote:

> Obviously, if you have a super hires very large screen in a darkened
> room, with an equally expensive sound setup in sound isolated room, you
> don't want to touch the mpeg2 stream. You probably don't want DVD to
> start with, but something better.

Ah but see, thats where the fun is. Exactly what can you do to the mpeg2
stream to make it smaller, yet not see any loss. Thats What I've been
playing with.

A fully optimized cmp=3, ect, ect (basicly at the head of this thread is
the link to the suggested options) with a solid q=2 yields a smaller
bitstream than mpeg2 on a good signal mpeg2 stream.. What else can be
done so that you dont percieve any loss. Thats what we were discussing
before things went south.