[MPlayer-users] [newbie] GUIDE to mencoder (1 or 2 CD)

Philippe Monroux ph.monroux-DEL-SPAM at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 11 10:33:40 CEST 2004

Bonjour,

Le jeu 10 jun 2004, à 09 h 22 min 40 s  (UTC -0700),
vous (rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net>)
avez écrit :

> > 1) BITRATE CALCULATION :
> > For 1 cd : bitrate=700x1024x8/t (film duration in second)
> That won't work  if your DVD has sound at  all...  You haven't taken
> sound into consideration, so video  is going to total 700MB, with no
> room for the audio...

Ok. But I don't know how to determine the final sound size for example
ogg-vorbis

> Are you sure you  want to copy audio as-is?  It would  save a LOT of
> space if  you re-encoded it into  lower bitrate MP3,  and your video
> will look much better because it can use more bits...

Sure. I prefer ogg but I don't know the way.

> >  Has  somebody written  a guide  about  this purpose
> Yes, I'd say there are  probably hundreds of people who have written
> just such a guide.  A quick search will find several of them.

I've searched but I have not found one for fixed size (1 or 2 CD) that
is :

   - how to  re-encode the sound and  determine the final  size of the
   sound
   - how   to  to   precisely   determine  the   bitrate  with   sound
   consideration
   - how to optimise quality

Regards

--