[MPlayer-users] Rip DVD with 2 languages?

Alexandre Aractingi aaractingi at libertysurf.fr
Mon Jun 14 11:36:58 CEST 2004

Le dim 13/06/2004 à 17:45, Florian Fiedler a écrit :
> but, as I have raed on the list a few days ago, this part is broken and not
> longer in use! Does this mean I only have to skip this pass and do only a
> 2-pass encoding?? What happen to the audio?

I use 3-pass encoding with the following commands:

mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi
-oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128:vol=1.8 -mc 0
#mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi
-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=128 -af volume=+10db
mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -nosound -oac copy -o
/dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:autoaspect:vhq:trell:v4mv:vpass=1
mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -oac copy -o $NAME -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:autoaspect:vhq:trell:v4mv:vpass=2

where $TITLE is the title number of the movie on the DVD, and $DEVICE is
most of the time /dev/dvd (but might change, especially if you backed up
the DVD content to your hard drive before encoding it).

> I played a bit with the encoder options and this is the best result a can get!
> Did I forgott anything?? The resulting file is about 1,3 GB - this isn't a
> matter. Playback looks fine, but I have an A-V sync prob about 2 or 3 ms! I
> think this is caused by the 3-pass encoding I've used!

I got the same problema while ago, only with mp3lame (sound was ok if I
encoded it with libavcodec - ac3). D Richard Felker advised me to use
"-mc 0" to force the sync (thanks :-)).

> Ok, this is what I have done! But with this I have only one audio stream in
> the file. The thing I want to do is having 2 audio streams like English and
> German in one file! Is this possible with mencoder? I want to have the
> possibility to change the audio in playback!

You can make an OGM file. Encode the first audio as stated earlier, and
choose a second stream that you can encode in OGG (with "mplayer -alang
de -dumpaudio" if you want German audio) and then merge the 3 media
streams (1 video, 2 audios) with ogmmerge:

ogmmerge -A movie.avi extracted_soundtrack.ogg -o final_movie.ogm

Mplayer will then let you choose the audio stream you want, you can even
mix en / de L/ whatever subtitles within the file.

--
Alexandre Aractingi <aaractingi at libertysurf.fr>