[MPlayer-users] Rip DVD with 2 languages?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Jun 14 22:09:51 CEST 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:41:36 +0200
Florian Fiedler <flofi_is at web.de> wrote:

> Is -nosound here right?

No.

> Would this cause some A-V-Sync probs?

Most likely.

> If you> encode in pass1 without sound or isn't it needed? Sorry I
> don't know!
>

> I encoded the files with "scale=640:480". ogmmerge crop my black
> stripes and enlage the video image! Is this normal? Should I encode
> the DVD without the scale option?

Not really an ogmmerge problem (assuming I understand what you were
trying to say).  The DVD you are encoding from already has an aspect of
4/3 or 16/9, and scaling it without taking aspect into account is going
to cause problems...

First, you should include "autoaspect" in your "-lavcopts", to put the
aspect information in the MPEG4 video stream.

Second, if you want to play it with anything other than MPlayer, you
want scale to calculate the dimentions, taking the original aspect into
account...  This is what "-2" is for.

If you want a width of 640:  "-vf scale=640:-2"
If you want a height of 480: "-vf scale=-2:480"
If you must have it actually end up as 640x480: "-vf
scale=-1:-2,scale=640:480"

> Isn't there any way to do this with mencoder only? Not doing extract
> the audio german / code the german audio with ogg / extract the
> english audio / code the english audio with ogg / encode the movie /
> merge everything together!

Not likely.  mencoder is focused around AVI files, and AVI is a very
limited format, so it can't handle things like multiple audio stream
very well.  Even if AVI could handle what you want, mencoder doesn't
have any built-in method to handle simultaneous encoding of multiple
audio streams into a single file.  Until ogm muxing support is built-in
to mencoder, manually muxing everything is the only option.

This isn't Windows/Mac though...  It's quite easy to script the whole
process to save yourself time.