[MPlayer-users] mplayer says that my computer is too slow

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jun 15 00:24:07 CEST 2004

> Hi, I have IBM X21 laptop (PIII 700, 384MB RAM, ATI Rage 4MB) and I've
> installed Fedora Core 2. Then I compiled newest mplayer, everything
> seems fine but the fact, that when I play a movie/videoclip using for
> example SDL mplayer says that my computer is too slow. Does it really
> have such high system requirements? On WindowsXP I didn't have any
> problems with DivX/XviD/MPG. Should I recompile SDL for my machine?

Are you running it from the console or X?

Run top to see how much cpu mplayer is using.

run mplayer -vo xv movie.avi
see if A) it runs and B) how much CPU it uses.

Post the output from mplayer so we can see what it is doing.

Carl K

ps, my Celeron 600 is too slow too if I don't get the settings 'right'